Library, Information Resources, and Information Technology Services
The Denison University Library, housed in the William Howard Doane Library/Seeley G. Mudd Learning Center, offers a full range of traditional and online services, and collections. Liaison Librarians for Fine Arts, Humanities, Natural Sciences, and Social Sciences collaborate with faculty and students to ensure access to information resources that support the curriculum and research needs of the entire campus community, integration of information literacy concepts into the curriculum, and the creation and preservation of the intellectual and scholarly output of the campus. Library services include research assistance, electronic and print reserves, and interlibrary loan/document delivery. The Learning Commons, located on the main floor of the library, offers an integrated, user-centered environment to support learning, teaching and research. Attractive, convenient, and flexible, the Commons has social space, as well as individual and group study spaces, along with the latest information resources and technologies. Learning support is available at the Commons Desk where librarians and media support personnel are available for consultation. Writing Center, Academic Support, and Modern Languages consultants join Library and ITS Help Desk personnel here during selected hours. With seating for nearly 700, the library offers a multi-media viewing room, an 18-station electronic classroom/student lab, and a video conference facility, available on the lower floors. Wireless access is available throughout most of the building.
As a member of the Five Colleges of Ohio and OhioLINK consortia, the library offers access to a vast collection of online and tangible resources. The online catalog CONSORT offers access to 4.64 million volumes from the combined library collections of Denison University, Kenyon College, The College of Wooster, and Ohio Wesleyan University. Participation in the OhioLINK central catalog and daily delivery among the campuses of The Five Colleges of Ohio and OhioLINK institutions offers access to nearly 50 million volumes. The library subscribes to over 450 electronic resources, most with full text, ranging from digitized historical collections to current online journals. Other library resources include archives and special collections, maps, government publications, plus media resources in a wide variety of formats. More information on the library and collections is available.
Information Technology Services (ITS) provides a wide range of technology services to students, faculty, and staff to enhance the learning experience. Services include
- campus-wide WiFi;
- up-to-date learning technology in classrooms & labs with more than 600 computers available for student use;
- network file storage and network-based printing with a generous print allowance for students;
- Microsoft Office, McAfee Antivirus and select academic software for installation on student-owned computers at no charge;
- online and in-person training;
- access to 3-D printing and laser cutting; and
- technology equipment for checkout at the Circulation Desk in the Library (like Chromebooks, digital still & video cameras, and audio recorders).
Online services include:
- MyDenison (a password-protected intranet for students, faculty, and staff);
- Denison Apps (email, calendaring, online file storage, and document sharing, powered by G Suite for Education);
- Adobe Creative Cloud (in labs); and
- NoteBowl (Denison’s social learning platform that helps extend the learning experience outside the classroom).
Approximately 98% of students bring a notebook computer to school. Apple, Dell, and HP provide academic discounts to Denison students. See the Incoming Student Technology Guide for more information.
The ITS Help Desk, staffed by full-time technicians and student assistants, is available to assist students with technology questions and problems, including problems with personally-owned computers.