(Effective August 1, 2012)
Denison University first instituted an Affirmative Action Plan in 1977 for the purpose of reviewing College policies and practices to ensure equal opportunity in employment and education. The Provost with respect to the faculty, the Director of Human Resources with respect to the Supportive Operating Staff and Administrative Staff, and the Vice-President for Finance and Management with respect to outside contractors, are responsible for helping to meet these goals. Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Overseeing the implementation of Affirmative Action and serving as a liaison for the University on Affirmative Action issues. Developing and/or revising Affirmative Action and hiring procedures as needed.
- Maintaining current knowledge of federal, state, and local laws and regulations that pertain to equal employment opportunity and affirmative action.
- Monitoring all searches for faculty and administrative staff positions.
- Analyzing employment data in order to identify problem areas. Working with appropriate University officials and campus committees to evaluate personnel policies in light of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action.
- Overseeing the operation of university grievance mechanisms related to complaints of employment discrimination and harassment. Mediation of conflicts between and among employees and students relating to these issues.
- Informing members of the university community about their rights and responsibilities with regard to equal employment opportunity and affirmative action.
- Supervising the evaluation of efforts and results made pursuant to the Affirmative Action Plan.