IV.Special Academic Programs and Support: E. Austin E. Knowlton Center for Career Exploration
Knowlton Center Mission Statement
Effectively support Denison students/graduates to actively explore (their) curiosities, identify and pursue possibilities and build the skills necessary to realize the promise of their personal, professional, intellectual, and civic capacities.
The following services and opportunities are available to all students:
- Handshake: Handshake is where students will access all career-related information and resources, including career exploration tools, internship postings, events, appointment openings and so much more.
- Career Coaching: Knowlton Center staff / Career Coaches are available to meet to engage in one-on-one career coaching to help students identify values, interests, and skills and discuss how they may relate to a major or potential career to help students make a plan for their future. Staff will coach students along every step of the way from initial exploration in their first year to offer and salary negotiation in their senior year.
The Denison Internship Program offers students a structured learning experience as they explore career fields and integrate and apply academic coursework to a workplace environment. Each year, the Knowlton Center promotes and engages in a variety of internship opportunities – locally, nationally, and globally, that are typically conducted over the summer months. Many alumni and employer partners are interested in hiring Denison interns and frequently post internship positions through Handshake.
As part of the Denison Internship Program, students develop intentional learning outcomes and engage in pre-internship planning and post-internship reflection. Through a competitive application process, the Denison Internship Program provides internship stipend funding for students participating in unpaid, low-paid, or underpaid internship opportunities.
Please note: International students have very specific requirements and guidelines they must adhere to to participate in internship experiences in the U.S. Please refer students to the Knowlton Center or Marilyn Andrews, Director of International Student Services.
- Externships / First Looks:
We help connect students with alumni and friends of Denison for job-shadow experiences (aka Externships) and First Look company visits. These experiences help students choose their career path by providing invaluable insight into the “real world.”
- Resume/Cover Letter/CV Development: Whether writing a resume or cover letter for the first time, or if in need of review for a specific job or internship opportunity, students work with Knowlton Center Career Coaches to insure that their documents best represent their knowledge, experience, and skills. Career Coaches focus on helping students to confidently articulate the experiences of their Denison education, focusing on value-added outcomes.
- Mock Interviews: There is no better way to prepare for an internship/job interview or graduate/professional school interview than by experiencing an “actual” interview. Career Coaches provide mock interviews for students geared towards the specific industry/position/program. The mock interviews include a constructive critique of their performance and effective interview strategies.
- Networking: Career Coaches work with Denison students to provide strategies for building their professional network and leveraging current connections. In addition to formal networking opportunities, Career Coaches teach students about the value of networking in their job/internship search, provide guidance on how to best utilize networking resources, and educate students on how to engage in information interviews to aid in their professional career development. The Knowlton Center offers a Denison specific networking platform called Wisr, which syncs with LinkedIn and enables students to connect with potential career mentors.
- Graduate and Professional School Preparation: A large percentage of Denison students plan to go on to graduate or professional school. The Knowlton Center assists students with all aspects of the application and selection process: searching for schools and specific programs, identifying application requirements and deadlines, admission interview and test training, and personal statement writing. Dedicated Knowlton Center Career Coaches work specifically with pre-law and pre-health science (medical school, dental school, physician assistant, etc.) students throughout their time at Denison.
- Career Exploration: Students can work directly with Center Career Coaches and leverage tools like FOCUS 2, which is a comprehensive career-planning program that provides guidance and information to help people make important career decisions. Research-based assessments of career-relevant interests, abilities, skills, and job values help students explore and consider career options that are a good match.
- OnBoard: OnBoard provides students with a series of free professional readiness opportunities that complement the Denison experience during break periods (Winter, Spring and Summer). Students have the opportunity to take self-paced online “Language of Work” units consisting of multiple competency-based learning modules, pre- and post-assessments, and simulation work. Participants will acquire essential skills and specialized work place competencies to increase professional success after Denison across industry and majors. Unit areas include: Applied Excel, Business Analysis, Entrepreneurship, Finance Skills, Marketing, Principles of Accounting, Professional Communication, Project Management, Technology and Information Systems.
- On-Campus Recruiting: Organizations, companies, and graduate schools visit Denison via the Knowlton Center each semester to provide information sessions, lead workshops, and occasionally conduct interviews.
- Workshops and Programs: Each semester, the Knowlton Center offers a variety of career-related workshops, including topics such as: Resume and Cover Letter Development, Interview Techniques, Networking Tips, Personal Branding, Developing your Elevator Pitch, Graduate School Preparation, and more. For access to upcoming workshops and additional Knowlton Center hosted events, check out the event page on Handshake.
Please visit the Knowlton Center page on MyDenison for additional information and resources as well as access to Handshake.